About the Firm Timeline
The VEGAS LEX law office was opened.
Setting up regional offices in Volgograd and Krasnodar
The firm started its operations in regions of Russia.
Establishing an active public position
The firm forges cooperation with the Russian Law Society, the British and Russian Law Association, the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs, the International Arbitration Club, the Royal Institute of Arbitrators in Russia.
Invitation to participate in lawmaking at the federal level
The firm acts as an expert in special Committees of the State Duma, in expert boards, commissions and committees of the Federation Council of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation.
Topping the ranking lists compiled by Russian rating agencies and publishers of business periodicals
The firm is one of the top five leaders of the market for legal services as it is evidenced by rankings from the Expert Rating Agency, Dengi magazine published by Kommersant, and the Izvestia newspaper.
Recognition by the leading international and Russian media
News about the firm and its lawyers hits pages of The Financial Times (London), Vedomosti, Kommersant, Izvestia, RBC-daily, Vremya Novostey.
Moving to the international market for legal services and launching a group specializing in international projects
The firm offers a wide range of services in projects related to international and foreign law.
Entering ranking lists compiled by The Legal 500 International Analytical Agency
The firm is recommended for cooperation in banking, finance, corporate and contract law, mergers and acquisitions, maritime and transport law as well as in resolution of tax controversies and disputes.
Spinning off projects in real estate, land and construction into a separate legal practice
The firm is always among the first to respond to changes on the Moscow land and real estate market and to arrival of foreign investors. Upon the recommendation of its Western partners, the firm offers a new package of services in real estate, land and construction.
Spinning off mediation (intermediary services) into a separate focus area
The firm offers parties to a dispute its experience in mediation, if they are interested in continuation of cooperation, but are not able to settle their differences by themselves.
Consolidation of regional offices into directorates. Launching an affiliate program
The key component of the regional strategy of VEGAS LEX is provision of a package of legal services tailored to each region of the country.
Spinning off energy-related projects into a separate legal practice. Opening of the Energy Project Department
The firm demonstrates its immediate response to the first-stage reforms in the Russian energy industry and its new objectives by offering fundamentally new services to its clients.
Forming of an arbitration group. Developing of an innovative product - Case Engineering
- The firm conducts empirical research resulting in novel practices - Case Engineering – designed to incorporate elements of civilized solutions into the Russian arbitration procedure.
- The firm ranks among top three Russian law firms as announced by the Forbes magazine.
Opening of the Analytical Department. Provision of services in legal analysis
The firm offers its clients a wide range of services in comprehensive legal analysis and launches a new product – pro bono analytical reports for different business and law sectors. In fact, each report focuses on studying of a particular subject related to the Russian market.
Active deployment of innovative public-private partnership methods and approaches when working on clients’ assignments
VEGAS LEX provides legal support to more than 400 projects a year. The clients of the firm include more than 300 representatives of medium-sized and large businesses as well as public authorities.
Recognition and awards
- VEGAS LEX is included in the best-known international guidebooks: Chambers Europe 2009, The Legal 500 Europe, Middle East & Africa – 2009 Edition (EMEA), European Legal Experts 2009. Lawyers working at VEGAS LEX are mentioned in individual ranking lists in the above international guidebooks.
- Based on the independent Cbonds Awards voting, VEGAS LEX was named among the winners in the nomination "The Best Law Firm on the Bond Market" and was awarded the title of "the breakthrough of the year".
Active expert positioning in multiple industry-related programs and projects
- VEGAS LEX acts as a partner of the most significant event known among law students worldwide – the Philip Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition.
- VEGAS LEX joins the Managers and Developers Guild, the leading public association of management and development companies of Russia and CIS countries.
The winner of awards from the leading industry-related and business mass media
- VEGAS LEX wins "The Company Lawyer" award.
- VEGAS LEX acts as a partner of the Agency for Strategic Initiatives (ASI) and provides legal support both to the business community in presentation of projects and to the Agency in implementation of the approved initiatives.
- VEGAS LEX ranks among the top three law firms of Russia in the ranking by the Kommersant Publishing House.
- VEGAS LEX hits the top of the list in the “Antimonopoly Law” category in the renowned Russian ranking of law firms - Pravo.Ru-300.
Recognition of the partners’ expertise by the highest-level sources
- VEGAS LEX acted as a partner of the Best Legal Department Competition.
- Alexander Sitnikov was awarded the Certificate of Merit by the Federal Antimonopoly Service of Russia for his contribution to promoting competition and for his participation in improving antimonopoly laws of the Russian Federation.
- VEGAS LEX is included in the CRE 100 list of TOP-10 real estate advisers.
- Albert Eganyan was announced the best lawyer in the investment sector in the Best Lawyers 2012 international ranking.
Fundamental reforms in the management
- VEGAS LEX adopted strategic personnel decisions: Albert Eganyan became Chairman of the Board of Partners; Alexander Sitnikov became a managing partner; Igor Chumachenko was appointed a partner and was put in charge of the Real Estate, Land & Construction practice.
- VEGAS LEX was invited to the General Council of Delovaya Rossiya (Business Russia), a Russian public organization.
Recognition & Rankings
- VEGAS LEX was nominated for the Chambers Europe Award for Excellence 2014.
- The firm was listed in rankings by Pravo.Ru-300 2013, IFLR 2014, Legal 500 2013, Chambers Europe 2013.
Cooperation with the leading public associations
- VEGAS LEX, jointly with the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs, performed nation-wide studies to identify problems associated with control of fraud and fraudulent practices in Russian companies.
- VEGAS LEX launched new subdivisions: The Group for Aviation and Airport Development, Bankruptcy Department and Pharmaceutical Department.
Increasing the number of partners. Recognition of the partners’ expertise at the highest level
- VEGAS LEX adopted strategic personnel decisions: Yuriy Bortnikov, head of the International projects group, was appointed a partner in VEGAS LEX.
- VEGAS LEX joined the Investment Coordination Board of the Ministry of Transportation of Russia.
- VEGAS LEX joined the newly elected Expert Council of the Russian Government.
Recognition & Rankings
- VEGAS LEX is included in the ranking lists of the leading international guidebooks and directories: Chambers Europe 2014, IFLR 2015, Best Lawyers 2014, The Legal 500 2014.
- The firm made its first appearance in the Chambers Global 2014 ranking.
- In the rankings by Pravo.Ru-300 2014, VEGAS LEX hit the top lines in several nominations: "Arbitration Process", "Commercial Property/ Construction", "Antimonopoly Law". The firm moved to the fore in the following categories: "Natural Resources/Energy", "Corporate Law/Mergers and Acquisitions", "Bankruptcy", "Tax Law", "International Arbitration". In the industry-related rankings that are based on the overall and specific assessment by participants of the market for legal services, VEGAS LEX gained the maximum score in the following categories: "Commercial Property/Construction" and "Natural Resources/Energy".
The firm’s latest, large-scale research
- The VEGAS LEX reference book: Typical commercial disputes 2015. The textbook is a structured presentation of the main forms of legal practice for commercial disputes, and methods for effective ways of protecting the rights of entrepreneurs.
- Research by VEGAS LEX and the Public Private Partnership Centre funded by the Russian Ministry of Economic Development "Private Initiative in Concessions: International experience and the perspectives for their establishment in Russia". The research was conducted with the aim of developing mechanisms for private initiatives in concessionary agreements.
- First official Translation of Research by the Airports Council International for Europe (ACI EUROPE) "Airport Competition in Europe", carried out in partnership with the Russian Federal Air Transport Agency.
- Book "Investment in Infrastructure: money, projects, interests". Partner, Chairman of the Board of Partners for VEGAS LEX and Chairman of the Board of Directors for InfraOne, Albert Eganyan for the first time in Russia published a book, reflecting the current state and opportunities for development of infrastructural business in Russia.
Recognised by ratings
- VEGAS LEX was recognized by the leading IFLR1000 2015 international rating, where it was distinguished for the first time in categories for “Equity Capital Market” and "Energy and Infrastructure".
- The company for the first time made it into the Managing IP 2015 list, where it was distinguished in categories "Patent Disputes" and "Protecting Trademarks/Copyright".
- VEGAS LEX was recognized by the leading ratings and information references: Chambers Global 2015, Chambers Europe 2015, Best Lawyers 2015, The Legal 500 2015.
- In the rankings by Pravo.Ru-300 2015, VEGAS LEX hit the top lines in several nominations: "Antimonopoly Law", "Bankruptcy", "Commercial Property/ Construction", "International Arbitration", "Natural Resources/Energy". The firm moved to the fore in the following categories: "Arbitration Process", "Intellectual Property", "Corporate Law/Mergers and Acquisitions", "Tax Law". In the industry-related rankings that are based on the overall and specific assessment by participants of the market for legal services, VEGAS LEX gained the maximum score in the following categories: "Natural Resources/Energy" and "Commercial Property/Construction".
- New partners were chosen for VEGAS LEX: Head of Volga directorate Alexander Vyazovik, Head of Energy practice Evgeniy Rodin and Head of Litigation practice Kirill Trukhanov.
- In 2015 VEGAS LEX celebrated its 20th anniversary.
- In March the firm launched its new website. The site has a distinctive design, convenient multilayered structure and navigation. Complete with practical material, the website reflects all the events in which the firm participates.
- VEGAS LEX is updating its corporate style.
- VEGAS LEX Board of Partners elected Head of Technology and Investment group Alexandra Vasyukhnova and Head of Southern directorate Maxim Grigoryev as the law firm’s new partners
Recognised by ratings
- The VEGAS LEX law firm has won recognition as a Russian legal services market leader in The Legal 500 EMEA 2016 ranking in seven practice areas including Dispute Resolution (Litigation), PPP, Competition, Real Estate and Construction, Tax, Energy and Natural Resources, and Corporate and M&A.
- VEGAS LEX was recognized by a leading international rating agency – Chambers Europe 2016 – in the following categories: Corporate Practice/M&A: Mid-Market, PPP, Dispute Resolution, Pharmaceuticals, Antitrust Law, and Real Estate.
- The firm traditionally confirms its high positions in the international rankings IFLR1000 2017 and Best Lawyers 2017, in various legal practices.
- In the rankings by Pravo.Ru-300 2015, VEGAS LEX hit the top lines in several nominations: "Antimonopoly Law", "Arbitration Proceedings", "PPP", "Commercial Property/ Construction", "International Arbitration", "Natural Resources/Energy". The firm moved to the fore in the following categories: "Bankruptcy", "Intellectual Property", "Commercial Property/Construction", "Corporate Law/Mergers and Acquisitions", "Tax Law", "Natural Resources/Energy", "TMT" and "Banking/Finance"
Recognised by ratings
- The Firm was recognised as a Russian legal services market leader in 2017 by Russian rating agency Pravo.Ru-300 in Real Estate/ Construction and PPP categories. VEGAS LEX was also recognised in Tier 2 in the following categories: Antitrust, Arbitration, Corporate, Energy and Natural Resources, Intellectual Property, Insolvency, Tax, Pharmaseuticals, TMT.
- The VEGAS LEX law firm has won recognition as a Russian legal services market leader in The Legal 500 EMEA 2017 ranking in seven practice areas including Dispute Resolution (Litigation), PPP, Competition, Real Estate and Construction, Tax, Energy and Natural Resources, Corporate, Commercial and M&A, ТМТ, Banking: lender or arranger side, Transport.
- VEGAS LEX was recognized by a leading international rating agency – Chambers Europe 2017 – in the following categories: Corporate Practice/M&A: Mid-Market, PPP, Dispute Resolution, Pharmaceuticals, Antitrust Law, and Real Estate.
- The firm has been ranked first in Leaders of the Legal Services Market ranking 2016 prepared by Kommersant Media Holding in two categories, Antimonopoly Regulation and Public-Private Partnership. The following lawyers were ranked as leaders: Evgeniy Rodin (Energy), Igor Chumachenko (Land and Property), Maria Borzova (Antimonopoly Regulation), Denis Shtirbu (Public-Private Partnership).
- The international rating Best Lawyers 2018 recognized experts of the firm in the following categories: Regulatory Practice, Corporate Governance & Compliance Practice, Land Use and Zoning Law, Construction Law, Real Estate Law, Project Finance and Development Practice, Public Law.